Tuesday, January 17, 2006

First Day Anxiety

There's something about the first day of classes that never fails to spur up a random (or not so random) bout of anxiety. In elementary school and high school I always loved the first day of school for each respective year. I was anxious to see what the year would bring, what new things I would learn, etc. I also had a nervous anxiety, even though I've always done very well in school, I was always worried about how challenging that particular school year would be. I obviously worry too much. I'm a worry wart. This has carried over into my undergraduate years. Each semester I get this anxious feeling on the first day of classes.

So today was the first day of classes and I woke up very early for my 11:40 Begginner's Tennis class. I made breakfast and I even washed my dishes. (I'm sure this type of activity will not be happening as the semester progresses). Even though it was just tennis, I had this fluttery feeling in the pit of my stomach. I thought it would go away by the time my class was underway, but it didn't. It just changed into this unsettling feeling. It persisted until the end of my late night shift at work when I realized the true root of this prolonged anxiety. This is my last semester at Temple. Walking around our wet campus on this gray and dreary day, I felt a little emotional. Walking by familiar spots, bittersweet memories flashed through my mind. The bell tower, Mconigle Hall parties, J&H. I was once an eager, naive, and excited freshman on this campus that once seemed so vast but was now made small by routine and familiarity.

I'm looking forward to the next chapter in my life, but it's always bittersweet when one ends. My years at Temple were quite possibly the best years of my life, so far. I've learned so much about myself. I've made friends that I will have for life and learned lessons that I will take with me for life. With exactly 4 months until I walk across that stage to receive my B.A. in Journalism, the idea of life after Temple is becoming more real. So until May 18, I'm going to continue making those memories with those friends who will be there to remember them when we're old and have grandchildren.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anxiety is normal, nervousness means you're feeling, and feeling in my book is next to breathing. Be sure to enjoy these last few months of the undergrad experience. All the best. -CNEL

8:03 PM, January 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home