Friday, September 09, 2005

Packing For Life

I have to write a personal narrative for my Magazine Article writing class, so I'm posting it...comments/criticism is appreciated :) thanx folks...

Auntie ignored me for the next two days leading up to my departure.
She hasn't been handling this whole thing too well, understandably so. In my mind I was going to tell her it had nothing to do with her. That I was nervous as hell. That I really needed her guidance. But at the age of 13, I could not articulate that without those temporary speech impediments that usually occured when I was nervous or emotional.

I was moving in with my biological mother.

Two days earlier, accompanied by my Auntie Dor (considerably older cousin Dorene), and my Auntie, I visited the downtown courthouse. We were met by a few family members including Uncle, Auntie's ex-husband, who was more like a father than an uncle. My Mother and her husband were also there. The tension in the air was uncomfortable, but strangely routine at this point.

The judge wanted to speak with me alone while the adults waited outside. This caught everyone a little off guard. Our closed meeting was very short. He asked me a few questions including the decision maker, "Erin, do you want to live with your mother?" Me: "Yes." He didn't even ask me why or anything.

Two days later I wait for my Father, who also had not been a factor in my life up until this point, to drive me to my Mother's house. I must have been in denial because I still hadn't packed. My excessive stuffed animals were still resting in their comfortable positions. My bed was unmade, my room a little messy. My clothes were even still in the closet or in the dirty clothes hamper. It was a scene of confusion and unorganization. All I had packed were bookbags filled with schoolwork, yearbooks from over the years, and goodbye cards and gifts from schoolmates and best-friends. But, how do you pack your life away?

More to come....

3 Comments:

Blogger Darren Sands said...

Good ending.

11:03 AM, September 10, 2005  
Blogger Unknown said...

very good!

3:32 PM, September 14, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dats like whoa! That is some good writing.

11:16 PM, September 15, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home